Fish oil is one of the most important dietary supplements consumed by people worldwide in different forms. It is a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids which are very beneficial for good health. For those of you who are vegans or do not like oily fish, taking omega 3 fish oil supplements is a convenient way of ensuring a nutritious diet.
Let us understand what is fish oil before checking out the benefits of taking fish oil supplements:
What is Fish Oil?
The fat or oil extracted from the tissue of different fishes is called fish oil. Eating 1-2 portions of fish is also recommended by the World Health Organization. This is because fish oil contains about 30% Omega 3 fatty acids that protect our bodies from various diseases. It also contains some amount of Vitamin A and D. Although Omega 3 fatty acids are also found in plants the type of Omega 3 in fish oil is better than that found in plant sources.
Benefits of Omega 3 supplements
- Keeps your heart healthy –A large number of people suffer from heart diseases worldwide. Studies reveal that people who consume omega 3 rich diets are less prone to heart diseases. Omega 3 supplements increase the level of good cholesterol in the body while lowering Triglycerides by 15-30%. People suffering from high blood pressure also benefit by taking omega e rich diet. It also prevents plaque that makes the arteries hard and causes heart diseases. It is also known to reduce abnormal heart rhythms that may cause a heart attack if not taken care of and prevents the formation of deadly blood clots in the body.
- Helps prevent Mental disorders – Your brain contains about 60% fat that is mostly Omega 3. Needless to say, maintaining adequate levels of omega 3 in your diet is thus essential for your brain to function smoothly. Some studies have also shown that people suffering from mental disorders have less amount of omega 3 in their bodies. Omega 3 supplements are known to prevent or delay the onset of symptoms related to mental disorders.
- Keeps your weight in check – Who doesn’t want a fit and toned body? Obesity can be a starting point for various other health problems and needs to be controlled at all costs. Omega 3 supplements improve your body composition and help you lose weight. If you want to see quick results these supplements should be accompanied by an effective exercise regime.
- Improve your Eyesight and Eye health – Omega 3 supplements are good for your eyes. DHA, which is a type of omega 3 is present in the retina of the eye. Lack of DHA in your diet may affect your vision. It has been seen that eye health generally deteriorates with age. Aged people suffering from age-related macular degeneration(AMD). Eating fish or taking fish oil can reduce this to some extent.
- Helps fight anxiety and depression – Some people suffer from depression and anxiety that in turn leads to other problems. They are constantly worried and nervous and are unable to go about their normal routine. Omega 3 helps fight these symptoms and people taking omega 3 supplements show considerable improvement. EPA is found to be effective in fighting depression.
- Promotes brain health during pregnancy and early childhood– Omega 3 is important for the brain health of infants. Infants who are fed with DHA-fortified formula exhibit better eyesight than the ones feeding on normal formula milk. Pregnant women are advised to eat a diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids as it promotes the child’s growth in numerous ways. It reduces the risk of cerebral palsy, autism, and ADHD in infants besides preventing developmental delays. The children show better social and communication skills and fewer behavioral problems.
- Reduces symptoms of ADHD in children – Children show certain symptoms like hyperactivity and inattention etc. that cause hindrance in their overall development. Including omega 3 fatty acids in their diet reduces this problem to a certain extent. Omega 3 helps reduce the problem of restlessness and aggression in children.
- Reduces symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome – Metabolic syndrome results in the onset of many other diseases such as high blood pressure and triglycerides, insulin resistance, etc. Taking omega 3 fish oil and supplements reduces the symptoms of all these diseases and helps to keep you fit and healthy.
- Reduces Inflammation – Inflammation in any part of your body may occur due to an injury or in response to a certain health issue. It may persist for a long time and cause discomfort. It may lead to complications if not taken care of well in time. Omega 3 reduces the production of substances linked to the inflammation, causing it to heal quickly.
- Helps fight autoimmune diseases – In autoimmune disease, the immune system of the body starts attacking healthy cells instead of foreign cells. This can prove harmful and lead to various diseases like Type 1 diabetes wherein the immune system starts attacking the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Omega 3 helps combat diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, ulcerative colitis among others.
- Reduces Asthma in children – Asthma is common in children and causes symptoms like coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Asthma causes inflammation and swelling in the lungs and air-pipe and can be dangerous for the child. Consumption of Omega 3 reduces the risk of asthma in children.
- Reduces Fat in the Liver – People suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease are known to benefit from the consumption of omega 3 rich diets. It helps reduce liver fat and keeps you healthy and fit.
- Good for healthy skin – Omega 3 supplements help keep your skin looking supple, soft, and glowing. It keeps your skin hydrated and manages the oil production as well. Moreover, it reduces premature aging and hyperkeratinization of hair follicles. It prevents your skin from being damaged by the heat of the sun.
The benefits of omega 3 are endless. You can search for the best omega 3 supplements online and order today.